Protect your identity
Security freeze basics
What is a security freeze?
A security freeze is a step you take to prevent credit, loans and services from being opened in your name without your permission. You will need to request a freeze with each of the three credit reporting companies. It is important to know that if you place a security freeze on your credit report, businesses will not be able to obtain a copy of your report in connection with any new applications for credit. Before you apply for new credit, you will need to temporarily lift the security freeze following the procedures from the credit reporting company where you placed the freeze.
How do I set up a security freeze?
The process to place a security freeze requires that you directly contact each of the credit reporting companies. You can do so online or through the mail.
Types of information you should be prepared with:
- Your full name, including middle initial and suffix, such as Jr., Sr. II, III
- Social Security Number
- Date of Birth
- Current address
- All addresses where you have lived during the past two years
- Email address
- A copy of a government-issued identification card, such as a driver's license or state ID card, etc.
- A copy of a utility bill, bank or insurance statement, etc.
Additional information from each of the credit reporting agencies can be found using the below links:
- Equifax - www.equifax.com/CreditReportAssistance
- Experian - www.experian.com/freeze
- TransUnion - https://freeze.transunion.com
- Equifax Security Freeze
- P.O. Box 105788
- Atlanta, Georgia 30348-5788
- P.O. Box 9701
- Allen, TX 75013
- P.O. Box 2000
- Chester, PA 19016
How do I remove the security freeze?
When you request your security freeze, you will be given a personal identification number or password. To remove the security freeze, temporarily or permanently, contact the credit reporting company where you placed the freeze and provide that personal identification number or password. You can request to remove the freeze for a period of time or to permanently remove the freeze.